It’s amazing how Golf cart/ club cars and the question of how to wire lights on a 48-volt golf cart? have evolved throughout history, varying in different ranges.
Regardless of the modification and several design changes, many people always doubt how to wire lights on a 48-volt golf cart? Lighting is one of the main elements that should be the resource by which the driver can make his way through the darkness.
At first, they were just glass circles, and now, they appear to belong to a very modern mobile. The headlights are the eyes of the vehicle; with the fact that we see the shape of everything, it is not surprising that the headlights mark the character of the vehicle.
This variation will undoubtedly give your car power and intimidation. Starting with the black tonality, a “penetrating gaze” is achieved.
What is the meaning of a 48-volt golf cart?
We will guide you on everything you want to know about the type of batteries that golf carts use. These vehicles can use between 4 and 6 batteries. Compare prices and make sure you know the technical stipulations of your vehicle.
In most cases, golf carts run exclusively on electrical power. However, some models integrate gasoline. The voltages of their respective batteries may vary.
The number of volts should be indicated on the battery label. You can still calculate them by the number of holes it has. Each hole generates 2 volts; therefore, if the battery has 3 holes, it means that it is 6 volts.
The most commonly used total voltages for golf carts are a 36-volt golf cart and a 48-volt golf cart. As per the new trend, people prefer choosing a 48-volt cart.
Now, using a 48-volt golf cart simply means that your electric cart is equipped with 8 numbers of 6-volt batteries, which are needed for a cart that operates at 48.
On the other hand, golf carts that run on gasoline can use a single 12-volt battery. In the latest design, they also come with 4 numbers of 12-volt batteries.
There are several differences between these cars and the cars in which we drive every day. First of all, the engine does not start when you are turning on the key, but when you press the accelerator.
This allows for less noise and lowers energy/fuel consumption. Maintenance of these batteries requires cleaning the terminals and inspecting them to make sure there are no acid or liquid spills.
Why do we need to wire the lights on a 48-volt golf cart
Golf carts generally do not come equipped with lights, but if you intend to drive the car on public roads, the law says it must be equipped with headlights and taillights.
Golf cart lights are supplied in kit form, which should come with everything you need and complete the job should not take more than a day.
If, after reading the instructions in the kit, it might not be necessary that all the users have that level of electrical knowledge required to install these lights, it can be considered a basic electrical class.
Things you will need is the Light kit suitable for a golf cart from Tools as specified in the kit instructions.
Let’s know in detail about the importance of having lights on 48 volt golf cart:
1. Implying to the laws of state government
To ride a cart on the highway, you require installing some headlights. These Golf carts on general roads must have headlights, brake lights, and turn signals.
This is to comply with state laws governing the driving of cars on the streets, and this applies in most states in all continental regions. While it is a matter sometimes that may lead to a professional, do you know there are many ways you can easily install your headlights?
If you’ve some basic knowledge of car maintenance, by tracking a few easy and simple rules, you can easily equip your vehicle with all the lights you want to be able to legally drive them on the streets.
2. Having a clear vision in the darkness
Whenever you are taking a drive in the evening or night to any different area in your golf or open spaces on the premises, you often find trouble driving because of the darkness of night.
Street lights do help, but they cannot guide you at every corner. And most of the people tend to fall or have an accident with other vehicles or passing animals. Animals can get hurt if you are driving in between the woody areas.
So, to overcome all of such hindrance, it is important to install headlights and other sidelights. It also makes other drivers or persons aware that a vehicle is passing by, so they should clear the way.
3. Communication with other vehicles
Communication between vehicles is crucial to avoid accidents, but when we talk about it, we do not mean that every time you step on the brake, stick your head out and shout to everyone behind. Instead, it is more subtle, effective, and silent to simply use a red light.
In addition to the brake, there are other actions represented with rhythms and tones of light, such as the change of direction and the reduction of speed through the turn signals. Thus, a taillight or skull becomes a universal translator of basic actions that drivers perform to get around.
How to wire lights on a 48-volt golf cart
The installation of lights can be done by following the simple steps that are written on the kit that you may buy online or at the store. But make sure to install the light in the following sequence mentioned below:
1. Select the appropriate lights
Choose a light kit that is suitable for your golf cart. Kits are available at stores and websites that sell specialty golf equipment. Open the kit and check that you have everything that you should have. Read through the kit instructions carefully to make sure that you fully understand what you have to do.
2. Mark and locate the light fixing area
Park the cart and disconnect the battery. Decide where in the car you are going to put the lights. When choosing a location for your headlights, you want to remember that the lights should be positioned so that they illuminate the road but do not shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers.
3. Screw in your headlights
The very first point you will require to do is take the headlights out of the package and keep them on the golf cart’s front side. Any package will generally have particular instructions on where to keep the card, but they should usually be set so they light up the road in front of you but not illuminate directly on oncoming cars.
Ensure their positions mean they are noticeable to the car’s driver, so they recognize you’re there. Fixing them in position with screws that can be supplied in the set.
4. Plugin the headlights
Attach the mounting light to the carriage. Depending on the equipment you have chosen, you will have to drill holes to hold the mount, or if you are using a tie-down accessory, you will need to secure a bumper or roll bar. Or simply plug the headlight wires into the car’s main electrical system.
Usually, you will have included in your headlight set a series of wires using a switch on one end that can turn off and on when they’ve been attached to the wheels.
The complete instructions will provide you a clear idea of where to keep the light cables, as they may differ between models and makes. Set the connections on the wheel side and connect it with a power line. Pass the cables through the motor and tie them with pliers and scissors.
You will need to band the wire from the end of the wires to connect to the vehicle’s wheel. Push them all through the connections, and after that, screw tightly. Then you should be able to hold the switches on the connection edge.
5. Turn on the headlights
Follow the instructions in the kit to attach the lights to your selected mount and connect the cables to the golf cart’s electrical system. Different light manufacturers recommend different ways of running cables, and you should follow the manufacturer’s suggestion.
Connect the switch leads to the switch connector supplied with the kit. Place the switch on the dashboard. Connect the battery and test the lights. To check if your headlight works, turn it on before start driving.
It can work fine at night, also in a dark area, so you can examine the length and strength of the beam. This is really a great period to check out the light’s angle to make sure the driver’s safe.
Start the engine and, with the engine running, turn on the ignition switch, which is coupled with the lights. It must be produced a consistent beam of lights using this process.
Is there any equipment required to install the lights on a golf cart
To install lights, the kit that you buy will have the important elements to be fixed, that is, the lights, 6-9-12 pin connectors, lights, push-pull start button, etc. But to install or fix them, we do need some important equipment, that is:
- A 10-millimeter socket.
- A 13-millimeter socket.
- An inch and a quarter hole saw.
- A t30 and t-15 torque bit.
- A marking pen.
- Two cordless drills- smaller tip and a 7/16 drill Tip
- A tape measure
- Safety equipment
Cautions during the process of installing golf cart lights
The lights of your car are completely essential, not only so that you can see at night, but so that you can be seen by others. You should follow these cautions before installing and handling the lights:
Correct location marking for light installation
In the back of your car, skulls are incorporated. In these, there are several lights of different colors, in which each color announces different actions that you are doing or that you are about to do. You must be conscious of installing them in the right position by which you can make the right indication for others to understand.
Avoid short circuit or any fault
As in the light bulbs in your house, the ones in your car are supported and fixed by small connectors or sockets. Unlike the ones in your house, these have 3 cables or poles, and that is thanks to the fact that the bulbs that they integrate illuminate in 2 different intensities. Ensure that you do not mess with the sockets and connectors to avoid short circuits.
Differentiate the wires
Each of the 3 wires they have is for a different voltage. In one is the negative voltage or ground, and in the other 2 are the voltages in charge of giving the greater or lesser intensity of brightness of the bulb or its intermittency. To change the 3-pole focus connector, you want to know how to remove the old one from the skull, disconnect and connect the new one, to put it back, taking care to connect the 3 poles well. Otherwise, you may cause a short circuit.
So, in these ways, without any technical knowledge, you can easily install the lights on your 48-volt golf cart. Well, there are no as such defined qualifications required to install the golf cart lights.
But, yes, having good knowledge about the installation can help to know some important electrical terms. The information can be Basic knowledge in bodywork and electronics to be placed., The price comparison of lights is for both headlights. If any adaptations are required to install these headlights. Etc.
But, there are many tutorials available online on installing golf cart lights; you can always check them. Always ensure to have a warranty and good quality in lights as it will long last be compared to others.
Check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- RHOX LED side mount universal mirrors provides a safe view of what's behind you whether you're on the road, course or trail.
- Hidden LED marker light on mirror and LED indicator on back of mirror for oncoming traffic. Adjustable.
- 12V-48V Operation
- 3-wire design for integration with the turn signal and running light circuits.
- SUPER BRIGHTNESS - With High intensity LEDS at a 6000K color temperature, these Rectangle Led Light bar can light up the entire forward viewing area. They will give you comfortable and safe driving experience without eye fatigue.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE - The Work Lights Bar is Withstand Harsh Environment, Die-cast Aluminum Housing for Strength and Durability. They have a 50,000 hours life span and are IP67 Waterproof, Dust-proof,Shockproof and Anti-corrosive, Work Well at Any Harsh Environments, There are No Scruples During Use.
- BETTER HEAT DISSIPATION - In order to get best heat dissipation, our long LED lamp uses a heat dissipation cap on the back. Quick cooling aluminum alloy heat sinks ,Enhanced Air circulation surface for better heat dissipation.
- WIDE APPLICATIONS - DC10-60V can be compatible with almost all Jeeps, 4x4, Trucks, Motorcycles, SUV, ATV, UTV,Cars etc. Many indoor and outdoor uses: Garden Lighting, Backyard Lighting, Back-up Light, Off Road Lighting, Construction Lighting and so on.
- ADJUSTABLE MOUNTING BRACKET - Easy to install ,the work light can adjust to about up and down 90 degrees, which makes changing direction of light beam easier.Lifetime Warranty with free lifetime technical support for this LED work light.
- Specifically Designed for Golf Carts & RVs with 36V (six 6V battery pack) or 48V (six 8V battery pack).
- Powers head-lights, tail-lights, radios, solar panels and etc.
- Harness (matched male &female connector) and fitted butt connectors included for easy connect/disconnect application.
- Laser print on the surface. Easy ventilation design with aluminum cast shell. Completely sealed water resistant case.
- Turn Signals, Hazard Lights, Brake Lights, Headlights, Taillights and Accessory Circuit at your Fingertips 2-Day Shipping Included
- Works on 36 Volt and 48 Volt Carts without the need for a Voltage Reducer. Patented Brake Light Sensor....See Installation Video for DetailsWorks on 36 Volt and 48 Volt Carts without the need for a Voltage Reducer. Patented Brake Light Sensor....See Installation Video for DetailWorks on 36 Volt and 48 Volt Carts without the need for a Voltage Reducer. Patented Brake Light Sensor....See Installation Video for Details 2-Day Shipping Included
- LiTESeasy Simplified Installation, Plug-In Design, Live Phone Assistance, 1-Year Warranty, Works on Gas and Electric Carts…. Fits EZGO, Club Car, Yamaha All Years and Models and more…. Easier Install and Fits them All 2-Day Shipping Included
- Superior Brightness Per Watt, Extreme Visibility, Geo-Optic Reflector, Scratch and Sun Resistant Cover 2-Day Shipping Included
- Includes Voltage and Battery Charge Meter to aid installation.... Includes Everything You Need to Install, Even the Horn 2-Day Shipping Included
- Input Voltage Range: 30-60V DC(36V/48V)
- Output Voltage: 12V(Fixed Output), Output Current:20A, Output Power:240w, High Conversion Efficiency: up to 97%
- Protection: Built in over-load, over-current, over-temperature and short-circuit protection.
- Design: It’s more durable to use with Aluminum shell and silicone sealed.
- Application: High power 240w for car truck vehicle, golf cart, led strip light, screen, monitoring system, motor and DIY etc.
- LEDGlow 4pc Expandable Million Color SMD LED Electric Golf Cart Underbody Kit Creates Vibrant Multi-Color Underglow Accent Lighting That's Compatible with Any 36-Volt, 48-Volt or 72-Volt Electric Powered Golf Cart
- Control Box Features a Built-In Voltage Step-Down Reducer that Safely Powers the Kit on 36-Volt, 48-Volt or 72-Volt Golf Carts - 10 Solid Colors, 3 Strobe Modes, 3 Fade Modes, 2 Flash Modes, Color Cycle Mode, Gradient Mode & Demo Mode - Solid Colors: Blue, Red, Green, Orange, Teal, Pink, Hot Pink, Purple, White & Yellow
- Includes (2) 28" & (2) 18" Flexible, Water-Resistant Underbody Tubes that House 84 SMD LEDs, Control Box with Built-In Voltage Reducer, 2 Wireless Remotes, 12-Port Junction Box with 8 Port Plugs, Connection Cable, Self-Tapping Screws & Zip Ties
- Detailed Instructions to Walk Users Through the Installation Process Step-by-Step
- LEDGlow Guarantee with One Year Limited Warranty & Free Lifetime Technical Support
- [email protected] Voltage Reducer Works with 36V and 48V applications
- 30 Amp DC Converter
- Industry leading design feature BOTH constant and switched 12V outputs
- Connects entire battery pack instead of just one battery which improves the life of the battery pack
- It includes the installation instruction.